How many types of digital marketing are out there?
With how accessible the internet is today, would you believe me if I told you the number of people who go online every day is still increasing?
It is. In fact, constant internet usage among adults increased by 5% in just the last three years, according to Google Research. And although we say it a lot, the way people shop and buy really has changed along with it, meaning offline marketing isn’t as effective as it used to be.
Marketing has always been about connecting with your audience in the right place and at the right time. Today, that means you need to meet them where they are already spending time: on the internet.
Enter digital marketing — in other words, any form of marketing that exists online.
We can understand more about digital marketing by categorizing them into different types.
Let’s take a look at the top 8 types of digital marketing, the pros and cons of each and a couple of next steps you can consider if you want to get started.
Content marketing is a marketing strategy used to attract, engage, and retain an audience by creating and sharing relevant articles, videos, podcasts, and other media. This approach establishes expertise, promotes brand awareness, and keeps your business top of mind when it’s time to buy what you sell.
Content’ can mean social media posts, blog articles and fun videos and also reports, webinars and educational videos.
- Expanded brand awareness.
- Content is incredibly versatile and can help you build your brand as you educate, entertain and inspire your audience.
- You don’t have to pay to push your message out to the world.
You need to make high quality content consistently to meet the needs of your customers.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO):
The goal of SEO is to get a business to rank higher in Google search results, ultimately increasing search engine traffic to the business’s website. To accomplish this, SEO marketers research words and phrases consumers are using to search for information online, and use those terms in their own content.
SEO makes it possible for us to make contents that people are actively searching for. Everyone should be doing this, no matter what business or industry you’re in.
- It’s free!
- SEO also enhances Pay Per Click(PPC) success.
- Potential customers find your site because of your SEO. They come to your site and see that you’re professional
- It takes time and effort to create amazing content and do the technical optimization of your website.
Search Engine Marketing (SEM):
SEM is a digital marketing strategy used to increase the visibility of a website in search engine results pages (SERPs).
SEM is defined by the set of tools, techniques and strategies that help optimize the visibility of websites and web pages through search engines. In short, the goal of SEM is to gain better search engine positioning on Google and other similar sites.
In search engine marketing, advertisers only pay for impressions that result in visitors, making it an efficient way for a company to spend its marketing dollars. As an added bonus, each visitor incrementally improves the website’s rankings in organic search results.
Let’s say that you are a customer looking for a product or service online. You go to a search engine and type in your search terms (also known as keywords).
In your search results page, you will come across various company ads whose keywords match the keywords in your search.
These ads appear in prominent locations on the page – along with the other search listings that match your keywords. The paid listings are highly relevant to your specific search, making it likely that you will click on them.
- Brings highly qualified traffic to your page.
- Make your brand or company known throughout the world.
- You can get results with a tight budget.
Search Engine Marketing has become popular and there are many companies that compete to position themselves for the same keywords, so the competition is very high.
Social Media Marketing (SMM):
The term social media marketing (SMM) refers to the use of social media and social networks to market a company’s products and services. Social media marketing provides companies with a way to engage with existing customers and reach new ones while allowing them to promote their desired content.
Sites like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram are commonly used to execute social media marketing.
- SMM is the easiest way to reach an enormous audience, as 3.8 billion people, use social media. Moreover, this number is constantly growing — since 2019, social media use has grown by 9.2%.
- It can increase Brand Awareness.
- Easier to interact with audience on a regular basis.
- SMM is a great way to inform your customers about special offers. Social networks help deliver information about sales or giveaway swiftly and cheaply.
Need to stay engaged and active.
Pay Per Click (PPC):
Pay per click is paid search advertising, for instance, Google Adwords or Bing Ads. It looks almost the same as the natural search results, except that it appears at the top of the page with a little box that says ‘Ad’.
You can buy a top-ranking position via an auction based on keywords, geographical location and demographics—it’s especially useful for e-commerce and for local businesses.
- PPC ads provide instant traffic.
- PPC ads don’t depend on algorithm changes.
- You can choose your audience according to demographics like location, language and device.
- It is quite expensive, especially when you’re targeting popular keywords.
Influencer marketing is a type of marketing that involves influential people that might hold sway over potential buyers. This may be because of the influencer’s expertise, popularity, or reputation.
Influencer marketing involves partnering with influencers—celebrities, experts, authority figures—who have an existing audience.
When they promote the product to their audience, on platforms like Instagram, Snapchat or YouTube, loyal followers will jump on their recommendation and buy the product.
- It is comparatively less expensive.
- It helps you reach a relevant audience in a short period of time.
- The followers of the influencer will have trust in the products.
Working with the wrong influencer can do more harm than good.
Even with the emergence of social media, mobile applications and other channels, email is still one of the most effective marketing techniques!
Email marketing is a form of marketing that can make the customers on your email list aware of new products, discounts, and other services.
Email Marketing is a form of digital marketing, that uses email to promote your business’s products or services.
- Having an email list means you can stay in touch with your followers independently of any changing algorithms.
- Easy to share.
- We can reach a global audience.
- A lot of emails are left unopened, so we need to come up with strong subject headings to grab people’s attention away from their cluttered inboxes.
Affiliate marketing means outsourcing to other individuals or companies who will promote your products in return for a commission.
The Internet has increased the prominence of affiliate marketing. Amazon popularized the practice by creating an affiliate marketing program whereby websites and bloggers put links to the Amazon page for a reviewed or discussed product to receive advertising fees when a purchase is made.
- Low cost of start-up. There’s no upfront cost as you only pay for conversions.
- Lost cost means low risk.
- You can easily make your affiliate program smaller or bigger at little or no cost.
You won’t have 100% control over your brand.
So those are 8 of the top types of digital marketing that you can consider for your business.
Using digital marketing, you can reach an enormous audience in a way that is both cost-effective and measurable. You can save money and reach more customers for less money than traditional marketing methods, get to know your audience and allow them to know you personally which can help to create brand loyalty. The career opportunities in digital marketing are plenty; you get to choose what you want to become.
Digital marketing is taking the world by storm. Most companies are moving towards digital marketing and since marketing is an integral part of any company, the demand for digital marketers is quite high.
It has been estimated that about 93% of all online activity begins with a search engine.
Don’t worry, you don’t have to try every type, just think about what you’re trying to achieve, who your audience is and where they’re active and pick a couple of marketing media to get started. Best of luck!